STEM Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer which includes the Lead Counsellor Job. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or disability status.
The Lead Counsellor job includes the responsiblity for the successful operation of their STEM Camp location. Each Lead Counsellor reports directly to the Camp Director and other members of the Management Team at head office which includes the CEO and Executive Director.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
A successful candidate must be a Canadian citizen; currently enrolled in grade 11 or 12 or attending a post-secondary school or a graduate of a post secondary school. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply. Some experience with online gaming, coding and robotics is an asset such as Minecraft and Scratch. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, advanced computer skills (including videoconferencing), and English proficiency are an asset. Camp Counsellors should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic and work well independently as well as in a group.
The responsibilities of a Lead Counsellor include but are not limited to:
- Training and supervising staff at your assigned location
- Ensuring that all emergency procedures are taught and practiced by all campers and staff at your location
- Ensuring a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Communicating with parents, either in person of by phone whenever a parent seeks assistance or information about the camp or their children
- Carrying out duties as assigned by the Camp Director or any other member of the management team which includes, CEO and Executive Director
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Camp Director or other members of the Management Team
- Managing Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location
- Leading activities with children of all ages when necessary
- Performing duties as a Camp Counsellor in an emergency situation should one of the regular Camp Counsellors be unable
- Administrative tasks including completing incident reports, accident reports, following up on absent campers and other administrative duties as assigned
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions in all daily routines and program delivery with campers and your peers
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Management Team;
- Submitting to Head Office in cooperation with the Activity Coordinator, daily pictures and videos of activities taking place at STEM Camp within the confines of privacy laws
- Attending the mandatory training day for all Lead Counsellors
- Completing non-paid Health and Safety Training
- Adhering to all STEM Camp policies including “Policy for the Protection of Children”
- Adhering to the Activity Schedule and Training Manual
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19.