Do you have a passion for education and learning? Does leadership come naturally to you? Do you consider yourself to be someone who is comfortable taking charge? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as a Camp Leader!
The Camp Leader is enthusiastic and has seamless management skills. Camp Leaders enjoy overseeing the operation and camp staff to ensure the day runs smoothly. The Camp Leader has a high standard of health and safety. This is a 10-week contract position.
Why join STEM Camp?
- Monday to Friday work schedule – weekends off!
- Daytime work hours
- Civic Holiday Off
- Fun work environment and culture working with children
- Career pathing – get experience in the STEM fields
- Further advancements in the company
- Rewards and Recognition
A successful candidate is someone who has experience with online gaming, coding and robotics, such as Minecraft. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, advanced computer skills (including videoconferencing), and English proficiency are an asset. Camp Leaders should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic and work well independently as well as in a group.
The responsibilities of a Camp Leader include but are not limited to:
- Training and supervising staff at your assigned location
- Ensuring that all emergency procedures are taught and practiced by all campers and staff at your location
- Ensuring a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Communicating with parents, either in person or by phone whenever a parent seeks assistance or information about the camp or their children
- Carrying out duties as assigned by the Camp Director or any other member of the management team which includes, CEO and Executive Director, Director of Operations
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Camp Director or other members of the Management Team
- Managing Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location
- Leading activities with children of all ages when necessary
- Performing duties as a Camp Counsellor in an emergency situation should one of the regular Camp Counsellors be unable
- Administrative tasks including completing incident reports, accident reports, following up on absent campers and other administrative duties as assigned
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions in all daily routines and program delivery with campers and your peers
- Following all daily campsite cleaning procedures;
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Management Team;
- Attending the mandatory training period for all Camp Leaders
- Completing Health and Safety Training
- Adhering to all STEM Camp policies including “Policy for the Protection of Children”
- Adhering to the Activity Schedule and Training Manual
- Reporting directly to the Regional Manager or member of the Management Team
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19, including any booster shots per the direction of public health is required upon hire.
- Completed (or currently enrolled in) a STEM-related field at a post-secondary institution
- At least 2 years experience working in a leadership capacity
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational and creative leadership skills
- Customer service-oriented Teamwork and Collaboration, Adaptability and Initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Ability to perform with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven time management skills in a fast-paced environment
- Standard First Aid/ CPR Certificate
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
What to Expect
Although our camps run on a seasonal basis in July and August, we are looking for Camp Leaders to begin training starting June 20, 2022. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
COVID-19 Considerations: To keep our employees and customers safe we provide PPE, extensive health & safety protocols to keep our team and clients safe. All employees are taking COVID-19 masking and sanitizing protocols seriously and abiding by public health guidelines.
$17.00 per hour