The Counsellor in Training (CIT) is a volunteer position with STEM Camp. This is a great opportunity for high school students looking to get some volunteer hours. Counsellors in Training report directly to the Camp Leader.
As a Counsellor in Training, your duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Assisting with inquiry and discussion surrounding the camp activities
- Assisting campers in learning more about STEM Camp projects;
- Creating a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers;
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions with campers and your peers
- Engaging with each camper as they work through activities,
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently and fairly;
- Demonstrating emotional maturity, a positive attitude, thoughtfulness and stability in decision-making;
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback;
- Carry out your tasks efficiently and honestly;
- Accept guidance and instructions from the Camp Leader;
- Keep internal information confidential.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
- Commit to a minimum of (1) full week of volunteer work during the camp season
- Experience working with children is considered an asset
- Attending high school
- Counsellors in Training are expected to be on time for scheduled shifts
- Good communication skills
- Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19, including any booster shots per the direction of public health is required upon hire.
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable (proof of unavailability will be required).