Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a coding or robotics specialist? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as an Activity Coordinator!
The Activity Coordinator is enthusiastic and enjoys making sure the camp activities are running smoothly. Activity Coordinators have excellent time management skills and a seamless ability to motivate people. This is a 10-week contract position.
Why join STEM Camp?
- Monday to Friday work schedule – weekends off!
- Daytime work hours
- Civic Holiday Off
- Fun work environment and culture working with children
- Career pathing – get experience in the STEM fields
- Future leadership opportunities
- Rewards and Recognition
A successful candidate must have an interest in a STEM field. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply. Some experience with online gaming, coding and robotics is an asset such as Minecraft, Scratch and Microbits. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, advanced computer skills (including videoconferencing), and English proficiency are an asset. Activity Coordinators should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic and work well independently as well as in a group.
The responsibilities of an Activity Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Supervising staff to ensure the STEM Camp curriculum is properly implemented
- Leading activities with children of all ages
- Developing activities to help fill programming (if needed)
- Performing duties as a Camp Counsellor in an emergency situation
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions in all daily routines and program delivery with campers and your peers
- Ensuring that all emergency procedures are taught and practiced by all campers and staff at your location
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Assisting the Camp Leader with training staff at your location
- Assisting the Camp Leader to ensure a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Assisting the Camp Leader in communicating with parents, either in person or by phone whenever a parent seeks assistance or information about the camp or their children
- Carrying out duties as assigned by the Camp Director or any other member of the Management Team
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Camp Director or other members of the Management Team
- Mentoring Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location
- Administrative tasks including: completing incident reports, accident reports, following up on absent campers and other administrative duties as assigned
- Attending the mandatory training period for all Activity Coordinators
- Completing Health and Safety Training
- Adhering to the Activity Schedule and Training Manual
- Adhering to all STEM Camp policies including “Policy for the Protection of Children”
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19, including any booster shots per the direction of public health is required upon hire.
- Completed (or currently enrolled in) a STEM-related field at a post-secondary institution
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
- Customer service-oriented Teamwork and Collaboration, Adaptability and Initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location(s)
- Standard First Aid/ CPR Certificate
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
What to Expect
Although our camps run on a seasonal basis in July and August, we are looking for Activity Coordinator to begin training starting June 20, 2022. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
COVID-19 Considerations: To keep our employees and customers safe we provide PPE, extensive health & safety protocols to keep our team and clients safe. All employees are taking COVID-19 masking and sanitizing protocols seriously and abiding by public health guidelines.
$16.00 per hour