STEM Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer including the Activity Coordinator job. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or disability status.
The Activity Coordinator job includes being primarily responsible for the successful implementation of the curriculum at their STEM Camp location. Each Activity Coordinator reports directly to the Lead Counsellor.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
A successful candidate must be a Canadian citizen; currently enrolled in grade 11 or 12 or attending a post-secondary school or a graduate of a post secondary school. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply. Some experience with online gaming, coding and robotics is an asset such as Minecraft and Scratch. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, advanced computer skills (including videoconferencing), and English proficiency are an asset. Camp Counsellors should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic and work well independently as well as in a group.
The responsibilities of an Activity Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Supervising staff to ensure the STEM Camp curriculum is properly implemented Leading activities with children of all ages
- Developing activities to help fill programming if needed
- Performing duties as a Camp Counsellor in an emergency situation should one of the regular Camp Counsellors be unable
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions in all daily routines and program delivery with campers and your peers
- Ensuring that all emergency procedures are taught and practiced by all campers and staff at your location
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Assisting the Lead Counsellor with training staff at your location
- Assisting the Lead Counsellor to ensure a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Assisting the Lead Counsellor in communicating with parents, either in person or by phone whenever a parent seeks assistance or information about the camp or their children
- Carrying out duties as assigned by the Camp Director or any other member of the management team which includes, CEO and Executive Director
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Camp Director or other members of the Management Team
- Mentoring Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location
- Administrative tasks including completing incident reports, accident reports, following up on absent campers and other administrative duties as assigned
- Submitting to Head Office in cooperation with the Lead Counsellor, daily pictures and videos of activities taking place at STEM Camp within the confines of privacy laws
- Attending the mandatory training day for all Activity Coordinators
- Completing non-paid Health and Safety Training
- Adhering to the Activity Schedule and Training Manual
- Adhering to all STEM Camp policies including “Policy for the Protection of Children”
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19.