Hello STEM families, I hope you’re ready to do really fun STEM experiments! Have you ever wondered if you are left or right brain dominant? Well today you’re going to have the opportunity to find that out!
- Pen or pencil.
- A coin.
- Paper towel roll or toilet paper roll.
- A phone.
- At least 5 volunteers.
- First ask your first volunteer to write their name on a piece of paper.
- Record what hand your volunteer used to write their name on a piece of paper.
- Place a coin on the floor directly in front of your first volunteer. Ask them to step onto the coin and record what foot they used to cover the coin.
- Give your first volunteer a paper towel roll/toilet paper roll and ask them to look at a distant object through it. Record which eye they used to look through the paper towel roll/toilet paper roll.
- Give your first volunteer a phone and ask them to listen to it. Record what ear they used to listen to the phone.
- Repeat this process with at least four different volunteers. Record all of the results for each participant.
- Review your results. Were more of your volunteers right-handed or left-handed? Were more right-footed or left-footed, were more right-eyed or left-eyed, and did they listen with their right-ear or left-ear?
- How many people that are right-handed are also right-footed and vice-versa? Were there any other possible combinations?
Scientific studies found that 70%-90% of people are right-handed. You’ll probably find that most of your volunteers are also right-handed.
Those individuals will probably prefer to use their right foot, eye, and ear as well. The same thing can be said for left-handed individuals. You may come across someone who is right-footed, right-eyed and right-eared but is left-handed. It is very likely that they were predisposed to be left-handed but taught to write with their right hand in school as a child. In conclusion, if your volunteers used mostly their right sides compared to their left sides they are right brain dominant. If your volunteers used mostly their left sides rather than their right sides the are left brain dominant.
Don’t forget to follow our social media pages if you want your children to learn about other amazing STEM experiments! This will include interesting blogs, important information about our camp themes, special promotions and contests!
Check out all of our locations HERE. Over 45 locations across Ontario!
Science Buddies. (n.d). Are You Left or Right Brained? Retrieved from https://www.sciencebuddies.org/stem-activities/left-right-brain-dominance#exploremore