STEM Camp Coordinator: Job Description
Do you have a passion for education and learning? Does leadership come naturally to you? Are you comfortable taking charge? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as a Camp Coordinator!
The Camp Coordinator is enthusiastic and has excellent management skills. Camp Coordinators work closely with the Program Coordinator and Counsellors to ensure day to day camp operations run smoothly. The Camp Coordinator has a high standard regarding health and safety.
Why Work at STEM Camp
A successful candidate is someone who has excellent written and verbal communication skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and English proficiency. Coding and robotics knowledge, advanced computer skills and teaching skills, are an asset.
Camp Coordinators should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic, and work well independently as well as in a group.
"I loved working at STEM Camp for my second year!!! I am definitely applying next summer in hopes of being the camp leader. I had an amazing summer!"
~ Counsellor, Summer 2022
The responsibilities of a Camp Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Training and supervising staff at your location with the help of the Program Coordinator
- Ensuring all emergency procedures are followed by campers and staff
- Ensuring a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Effectively communicating when parents seek assistance about camp or their children
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Management Team
- Managing Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location (if applicable)
- Leading activities with children of all ages when necessary
- Performing duties of a Counsellor in an emergency
- Administrative tasks include completing camp reports, following up on absent campers, etc.
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions
- Following all daily campsite cleaning procedures
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from members of the Management Team
- Attending the mandatory training period for all Camp Coordinators
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector.
Successful Candidates Should Possess
- Previous experience working in a leadership capacity is considered an asset, but not required
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational leadership skills with the ability to perform with minimal supervision
- Customer service-oriented mindset
- The ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Teamwork and collaboration skills with the ability to take initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to adapt to change
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven time management skills in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to commute to workplace location
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
What to Expect
Although our camp season runs in July and August, we are looking for Camp Coordinators to begin training in late June 2023. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
$17.50 per hour