STEM Program Coordinator: Job Description
Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a coding or robotics specialist? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as a Program Coordinator!
The Program Coordinator is enthusiastic and enjoys making sure the camp activities are running smoothly. Program Coordinators have excellent time management skills and an excellent ability to motivate people.
Why Work at STEM Camp
A successful candidate must have an interest in a STEM field as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and English proficiency with some experience in online gaming. Knowledge of coding and robotics such as Minecraft, Scratch and Microbits and advanced computer skills is an asset. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply.
Program Coordinators should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic, and work well independently as well as in a group.
"I loved working at STEM Camp for my second year!!! I am definitely applying next summer in hopes of being the camp leader. I had an amazing summer!"
~ Counsellor, Summer 2022
The responsibilities of a Program Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing Counsellors to ensure the STEM Camp curriculum is properly implemented
- Leading activities with children between the ages of 5-13 years old
- Developing STEM-related activities to help fill programming (if needed)
- Performing duties of a Counsellor in an emergency
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions
- Ensuring that emergency procedures are followed by campers and staff
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Assisting the Camp Coordinator with training staff at your location
- Ensuring a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Effectively communicating when parents seek assistance about camp or their children
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Management Team
- Mentoring Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location (if applicable)
- Administrative tasks include completing camp reports, following up on absent campers, etc.
- Carrying out reasonable duty requests from members of the Management Team
- Attending the mandatory training period for all Program Coordinators
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector.
Successful Candidates Should Possess
- Graduated from or currently enrolled in a STEM-related field or Bachelor of Education at a post-secondary institution (considered an asset, not a requirement)
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Customer service-oriented mindset
- Teamwork and collaboration skills with the ability to take initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to adapt to change
- The ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
What to Expect
Although our camp season runs in July and August, we are looking for Program Coordinators to begin training in late June 2023. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
$17.50 per hour