Hello STEM family, are you excited about STEM Camp? A summer camp filled with hands-on activities, coding, robotics, challenges, building cool stuff, learning experiences and tons of fun! Engineering April is underway and now it’s time to talk about the Engineering behind another one of our themes, Star Wars!
Our Star Wars weeks July 15th – 19th and August 12th – 16th. Registration is open and spots are filling up quickly! So go to our website to register your child in the week of their choice today!
Today we are going to talk about everyone’s favourite droid R2-D2. R2 is a very resourceful astromech droid who served Padmé Amidala, Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker. R2 is a smart droid who was even able to show great bravery in rescuing his masters and their friends from many dangers. He is a skilled starship mechanic and fighter pilot’s assistant. He also formed an unlikely but enduring friendship with a protocol droid named C-3PO. R2 is relied upon heavily by the individuals who he is serving and was also able to make deep connections with them.
He has also made deep connections with fans all over the world. He is one of the favourite characters in Start Wars. Who hasn’t dreamed about having their own R2-D2, right?
In Real Life
The R2-D2 replica is focused on three key elements:
1. Turning head – R2’s head contains a gearbox that powers rotation and also 3 PCBAs to power his light features.
2. Retracting third leg – R2-D2 has a third leg that is able to fully retracts inside his body when he’s standing still and extends when he’s moving around.
3. Locomotion – Sphero’s R2-D2 moves in a very realistic fashion, he drives along the ground in tripod mode and he waddles side to side when standing with two legs.
The BB-9E’s replica is focused on two key elements:
1. Lights in the head – BB-9E’s head features a glowing red light and two small blue lights, it’s powered wirelessly with an inductive coil.
2. Weight Compensation – BB-9E’s head is heavier than BB-8 because of the new light features, due to this it requires counterweights for balance
Learn More About Our Summer Camp!
It’s incredible to see how engineers are able to replicate ideas from movies and make them real. At STEM Camp, our activities and projects are based on things children know and love. Therefore, STEM becomes real to them and they develop an interest and sense of wonder!
At our summer camp your children will have the chance to be introduced to coding and robotics concepts with Ozobots and Edisons! Register today and save their spot at STEM camp this summer!
Don’t forget to follow our social media pages to learn about all kinds of important STEM skills, more information about our camp themes, promotions and contests!
Evans, C. (2017, September 20). Fictiv. Sphero on the Engineering Behind their New Star Wars Products. Retrieved from https://www.fictiv.com/blog/posts/sphero-on-the-engineering-behind-their-new-star-wars-products
Star Wars. (n.d). Retrieved from https://www.starwars.com/databank/r2-d2